Monday, April 23, 2012

Crosby's first 9 weeks

My sweet boy is already 9 weeks old! He is a calm baby. He does not have colic like Hadley and he definitely does not have reflux like she did. He does spit up but it is actually spit up and not most of the feeding like with Hadley. The funny thing about that is he is in the 7% for weight. I looked up Hadley's weight at 8 weeks and she was 12 oz heavier than him. I know how many ounces he eats a day since he is at Elsa's and it is around 24-28 ounces. That is on the high end for his age. He seems content after he eats so I guess all is good!

Funny thing happened at his 8 week check-up. Our pediatrician is on maternity leave (4th child all about 2 years apart - I have NO IDEA how she does it!!!) so we had a pediatrician we had never met that is not part of the practice for his appointment. She was very nice but when she came in she started asking me questions:

  1. Pediatrician: Is he sitting up? Me: Ummm no??? (dumbfounded look on my face) I mean only if I hold him in a sitting position 
  2. Pediatrician: Does he roll over? Me: He has accidentally rolled over from his stomach to his back but it was not intentional (starting to think she is joking?!) 
  3. Pediatrician: Does he clasp his hands Me: Yes, kinda..
  4. Pediatrician: Does he pass toys from one hand to the other Me: Well, he has grabbed his paci before with both hands but again I don't think that was intentional(thinking back to when Hadley was this age and I was 100% positive she was not doing these things at this age either!)
Then she performs the neck test to see if when you pull him to sitting he holds his head at the same angle.. well he failed that one. His head was just hanging back! 

She goes through the whole appointment and seems like she is holding back from saying something, maybe like your kid is WWWAAAAYYY behind! I ask her the couple of questions I had and she answers and then leaves. The nurse comes in to give him his vaccines and while I was getting him into the car seat the pediatrician comes back in and says "You must think I am crazy!! I KNOW a 2 month old shouldn't be doing those things, I had just seen two 6 month olds and wasn't thinking he was 2 months old." Whew! I was starting to think maybe her kids are really advance! Glad to know my kid is on track, but she had his chart in front of her- scares me a little she didn't realize he was only 2 months old!!

Height: 22 1/4" (33%)
Weight: 10lbs (7%)
Head: 15 1/4" (45%) 

Anyways, he is doing well. Has a little bit of a flat spot on his head, but Hadley did too so I know once he starts sitting it will round out like hers did.

Crosby usually only cries when he is hungry. He loves LOVES LOVES his paci! He really smiles when you sing or turn on the fan. He has been sleeping in his crib since 5 weeks. He sleeps swaddled and his sleeping schedule right now is going to bed around 8/8:30, wakes up anywhere from 12:30 - 2:30 for a feeding and then back to sleep right away and then up exactly, and I mean exactly, 3 hours later after his last feeding. Last night his schedule was 7:30 to bed (we were all exhausted) up at 1:00 for a feeding and then again at 4 and then up for the day at 7:30. Hadley started sleeping through the night at this point and although she hasn't in months I sure hope he starts to soon! He did sleep 9-4 one night and I just thought we were on track to sleeping through the night and then he reverted back to waking up more often. Matt suggested last night we give him formula to see if it would hold him over longer but it didn't work!

Last weekend, he ended up in the hospital for high temp and dehydration. It turns out it was just a viral infection that the whole family ended up getting. My last week home, my mom came over on Wed to help me clean and get things in order before I went back to work. That day he was fussy and crying more - seemed odd to me. Each day after that he was more fussy and instead of just spitting up he was projectile throwing up his feedings. That Saturday after his 4 am feeding he was crying non-stop and felt warm. We took his temp and it was 100.4.  We called the pediatrician since that is what is recommended for a baby under 3 months with a temp of 100.4. We went in to the office and he was crying the whole time. Because of his age, temp and inconsolable crying he sent us to Texas Children's to be checked out and have them run some test. His temp had actually gone up to 101.5 once we arrived there. Long story short (I know I know mine are looonnnggg and drawn out - that is probably why some people just ignore me when I talk!!) they admitted him for the night and had him hooked up to IV for fluids.

They took great care of him and me that night. I am so thankful for my healthy children. I cannot imagine what parents with sick children in the hospital go through on a daily basis. We were released the next day and 2 days later he no longer had a high temp and was completely back to his content self.

Crosby is at Elsa's while I work during the day. The first day I brought him over there he smiled soo big for her! He is really easy going and because he is like that and we love Elsa it makes it so much easier to leave him there. Of course I want to be with both of my kids during the day, but at least I know he is good hands!

Now for some pictures!
























1 comment:

  1. I think you have that same exact photo of Judy when Hadley was born! :-)

    ReplyDelete