Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Positional Plagiocephaly

Crosby has positional plagiocephaly (flattened head). We have an appointment with a Pediatric Neurosurgeon on Monday to discuss treatment options. Positional plagiocephaly is caused by the way they rest their head and repositioning is supposed to help eliminate this issue. There has been an increase in positional plagiocephaly since the back to sleep initiative was launched in the 90's. I have done a ton of research on this especially now that we are going to see the specialist. The pedi recommended repositioning since his 2 month check-up and we have been doing this (I would even get up periodically at night to make sure he was not laying on that part of his head) and Crosby has been rolling over and sleeping on his stomach since he was 5 months but it has not helped. He is almost always on his tummy if he is on the ground unless he is rolling around. He doesn't rest on the back of his head except in the car seat. However, he obviously is resting on that spot at some point during the day/night for it to not improve. I know Elsa puts him in the swing but she promises me he isn't in it for more than 15 mins maybe 2 times a day. I believe her, too, because he hates his car seat and leaning back in that position. He is always trying to sit up and changing his diaper is like wrestling an alligator (he grasps my arm and starts rolling!). 

I KNOW I am worrying about treatment, insurance, etc before we see the specialist, but I want to be prepared with all the questions I can think of before we see him. It took a month to get the appointment and I am going to make the most of it. Treating plagiocephaly has a limited time-frame and we are already in the time-frame where treatment is not as effective as it would have been starting even a month ago. Insurance may not cover the cranial orthotic device, but no mater what Matt and I have already made our decision to follow that treatment if it is what is recommended. I compare it to dental braces. You do not have to have straight teeth, but like my mom and most parents put braces on their children to give them the best bite, alignment, smile, and straight teeth as possible. It is the same with his head shape. It will be with him for the rest of his life :-)  There are some proven issues later in life with untreated plagiocephaly and unlike dental braces there is a limited time-frame for treatment; it is now or never! I sure hope insurance covers it, but if not we will figure it out. We always do. 

I put a little photoshopped comparison together so you can see on the left/bottom what his head currently looks like and what it could possibly look like if corrected or if he didn't have plagiocephaly. 



Love it when they inch worm!



Flat spot or not he is the cutest little boy ever :-)




We will know more on Monday and I will post updates then. The great thing about living in Houston is the awesome medical community we have - the doctor we are seeing is one of the worldwide specialist in this field and is very conservative on treatment. This is very reassuring to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment